Thursday, February 05, 2009

Faster Bookmarks

Screenshot of a page of hyperlinks segmented into a table by category of type of link
I have a new homepage on my Internet browsers.
I've decided to create a webpage which has my most frequently accessed links, and I've saved it to my local network drive (so it follows me around campus). This allows me to create quickly access my bookmarks regardless of which computer I'm using, and yet it keeps my set of links private (stored on my campus network drive/not on an open website).
Part of the reason for "hiding" this - is that I have so many usernames and passwords, I can give myself reminders of my usernames for the sites I am accessing.

Click the image above to view a full-screen version of my bookmark setup.

If you already are using a social-bookmarking tool, another suggestion might be to make that your home page.

I use SeaMonkey (web browser suite) to edit the page. It has a built-in webpage editor called COMPOSER which allows you to easily create web pages without knowing HTML coding. Then the page can be saved wherever you wish.

This idea might be extended to online course sites, since faculty could create a series of resource links for students and then upload the HTML file into their course management system to share with students.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand what you're saying, but honestly you could accomplish the same thing by using the iGoogle homepage, too. Nothing of interest is there unless you authenticate and, particularly with the ability to mash in any feeds you want you could have Google Reader, gmail, Delicious or any other number of services staring you in the face when you open it up ...

Technology Bites said...

Excellent point. What you say is true, but I also have links to campus network drives and folders -- which would not be accessible through iGoogle.

Anonymous said...

Sure, I get that there will be non-web resources you might want in the same place.

I guess this means you probably have a web front-end on your campus network stuff, or you'd really have to bookmark those and use your computer's finder/explorer app to connect anyway.